Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 windows search containing text is not working
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ProductivePC
VP-CART New User

USA
199 Posts

Posted - February 29 2004 :  21:20:31  Show Profile  Visit ProductivePC's Homepage  Reply with Quote

This is not directly related to VPASP but is indirectly related so I hope that I am not out of place by asking this in this forum.

I am having an extremely difficult time with searching in the VPASP .ASP files with the windows search containing text feature. Is there a setting or something that I have to set because I can go into the asp code and copy a word or characters from it, go to the search for all files and folders, browse to the directory where the ASP files are and paste what I have just copied from the asp file into the "containing text search box", click search and it will find NOTHING. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

This is extremely frustrating when trying to debug newly added or changed code..... Can someone please help. Is there another piece of software out there that will search containing text within ASP files. This should be working seeing ASP is only a text file.... As it stands currently I have to open up each individual file and do a search with the find to see if something is in the file.... this takes quite a long time with 90 something files.

This happens on two different computers. One containing windows xp professional - retail version and the other containing windows xp pro - corporate version.

Any help would be MOST appreciative. Thank You in advance.

Wayne
www.WorldFamousGiftBaskets.net

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 01 2004 :  02:23:14  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
see my previous posting....

http://vp-asp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2432

(microsoft text searches simply do not work at all and are hence very very dangerous to use; the posting above will sort it out for you as it has a link for a really good/reliable and quick-to-download piece of kit that does proper text searches)

xp is the absolute worst of all the microsoft software for text searches; it's completely and utterly broken; in my opinion the text search never should have been included in the xp software because of this; such a basic utility not working (yet not coming up with errors) is *really* dangerous/damaging - I hope Microsoft get the pants sued off them for this.

(and no; I don't think you're out of place asking about this, as it's one of the most common functions that a vp-asp user would want to use, and it's a problem which hardly anybody seems to know about on a user level. hopefully your posting, this posting, and my previous posting will help more people know about this and get them to switch over to a different search before they damage their own systems unwittingly by using an invalid text search function)

Edited by - devshb on March 01 2004 02:33:01
Go to Top of Page

ProductivePC
VP-CART New User

USA
199 Posts

Posted - March 01 2004 :  02:47:46  Show Profile  Visit ProductivePC's Homepage  Reply with Quote

That piece of software works great. Thank you for your post..... What a piece of garbage the containing text windows software was. This will be much of a life saver. I am going to post a link to that website http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/download.aspx as well.

Wayne
www.WorldFamousGiftBaskets.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00