Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Access/SQL database?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rim911
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - March 01 2006 :  09:17:55  Show Profile  Visit Rim911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I just purchased the deluxe package software and i am trying to decide what kind of database to setup. I have a asp host but they also offer SQL server for an additional $10 a month which isnt too bad. I am transfering my exsisting site currently hosted by monster commerce. What are the benifits from running a SQL server?

thanks for the help

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 01 2006 :  12:00:29  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
really it's just down to the size of the database and the amount of visitors you have. Most sites will do fine on access, but if your product list grows a lot (or you have a large number of levels of categories) or if you get loads of concurrent visitors then sqlserver would be relevant.

it also depends on how much memory your host sets aside for your site; if you're on a shared server then other sites might take/use a lot of memory/processes and leave your site stuck; that problem usually gets reduced if using sqlserver.

if it's only $10 a month then I'd definitely go for sqlserver in your shoes, but make sure that they offer a web-based front-end as standard for it (ie a web equivalent of Enterprise Manager) otherwise you won't be able to make changes to the database without purchasing sqlserver for your own pc (lots of hosts use a package called "mylittletools" which allows you to view/change the sqlserver database via a web browser)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

Rim911
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - March 01 2006 :  12:08:27  Show Profile  Visit Rim911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Would it be something that can easily be changed over? Right now my current host is discountasp.net. I think they give me 100 MB of SQL for about $10. My site avg's about 800 hits a day and 15 GB of bandwidth a month with about 30 different catagories and maybe 60 subcatagories.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 01 2006 :  12:13:37  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it can be changed-over relatively easily; vpasp have an access-to-sqlserver conversion script/doc that they have available for free upon request, so you'd use that rather than a generic conversion script as then you'd be sure of getting the right files/data etc.

so there's no hurry to change to sqlserver; you can try access, and if it starts being slow you can then consider a move to sqlserver without having to change all your code or muck around manually with your data etc.

moving from access to sqlserver is pretty simple with that script, but moving back the other way or from access/sqlserver to mysql would probably be much more problemmatic

the only real difference between the 2 coding-wise is that sqlserver uses "UPPER" and "LOWER" for alpha-case-setting, but access uses "UCASE" and "LCASE", so if you set your product-ordering config value to "UCASE(cname)" you'd need to change that to "UPPER(cname)" when you convert to sqlserver. but the vpasp code wouldn't need to be changed.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

Rim911
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - March 01 2006 :  14:59:41  Show Profile  Visit Rim911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well to aviod any complications I think i will just reupload all the vp files and do the SQL setup. I have 3 choices as far as SQL, MYSQL, MSSQL2005 and MSSQL200 is one better than the other?
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - March 02 2006 :  03:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SQL2005 is not limited to the 8k row size, which has been a chronic problem for those of us that have very long product descriptions.

I don't know the above as an established fact. I read it, but as of yet have heard no feedback from anyone in the real world (that means anyone outside of Microsoft-land) or anyone using VPASP on SQL2005.

If you go with SQL2005, it would be great for you to post here how you like it.
Go to Top of Page

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - March 03 2006 :  01:03:05  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can anyone offer any advice on at what point you should consider using SQL instead of Access?

e.g. What Size Database?
How Many Products?
How Many Categories?

Which SQL is best?
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 03 2006 :  06:25:21  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's just a personal view, but I don't think there's a direct answer for products or categories, but instead it'd be mostly tied down to the number of prodcategories records (ie essentially products*categories; the number of combinations that the queries would look for), and also the number of levels of categories that you have.

if you have, say, 5000 products but only 10 level 1 categories then access would be fine. If you have 500 products but 200 categories going down to 5 levels then even with only 500 products you might find sqlserver relevant.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)