Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 What kind of traffic can VPASP handle?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vpnewbie
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - January 13 2007 :  12:58:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I currently use 5.0, and love it. However, my store has probably only ever had to handle about 500 simultaneous users, and the Access version (using the Access db as opposed to MySQL or SQL) sometimes had issues w/ traffic.

I want to try this store for a client who has a VERY busy store, and VERY high traffic site (around 55 Gigs of bandwidth a month, whereas my own site is about 4), like with the possibility of thousands of orders per day, thousands of simultaneous shoppers. Does anyone use VPASP who has this kind of traffic going on? I want to make sure VPASP can handle it.

I imagine I would use the SQL version, but one thing I was unsure of is the actual use of SQL; is the VPASP store a true SQL application, or is it kind of a work-around just to make it compatible with SQL? That may sound like a dumb question, but I'm pretty much of a newb (obviously).

Any advice or experiences of people using this store for high volume would be greatly appreciated; I will look like a complete idiot if this guy puts up the dough and the store can't handle the massive use.

Thanks for reading, and in advance for your help.

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - January 13 2007 :  13:32:53  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
vpasp does use proper sqlserver (ie it doesn't use a kind of pseudo-wrapper pretending/emulating sqlserver; it uses proper/raw sqlserver)

we don't have traffic anywhere near that high, but access would definitely be out; it'd need to be sqlserver or mysql. I'd personally go for sqlserver because it's a microsoft product, and asp is also (essentially) a microsoft product, using a windows server, ie don't mix and match between microsoft and unix/linux stuff; keep to one type and stick with it throughout. It is possible to mix+match, but it'd be an "at your own risk" scenario:

mysql=unix/linux
access=microsoft
sqlserver=microsoft
asp=microsoft
php=unix/linux

vpasp will work fine on a mysql database and/or unix/linux server, but the potential problem/issue would be with asp itself rather than vpasp; a while ago sun (who maintain unix/linux asp) broke unix/linux asp across the whole planet and managed to destroy half the unix/linux websites for a few months. unix/linux asp is really just an afterthought/bolton, whereas microsoft asp is a core product based on their visualbasic core product so is much more stable.

if they have that many users, it'd almost certainly need to be on a dedicated server (the site itself, and the sqlserver database), and (as with any cart) they'll need a lot of server memory to cater for the number of sessions.

it might be a good idea to use database-based websessions (which can be turned on with a switch in vpasp) to help minimise the amount of memory that the server ends up having to use; that'll also have a nice side-effect of people being able to keep their "session" active for ages without having to relogin and without the server being overloaded.

database-based "sessions" were intoduced in a relatively recent version (5.5 or 6 I think), so you'd need to buy a new version for them (which I guess you'd need to do anyway)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on January 13 2007 13:45:42
Go to Top of Page

vpnewbie
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - January 13 2007 :  16:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simon:

Thanks very much for the response.

They do have a dedicated server, and currently they do run the store on a custom SQL cart (they are running SQL Server), and the site pages are all ASP, so all the technology is there. The server is certainly capable, the site works well, it's just not the best store design and doesn't do a lot of what vpasp can do (ie. notifications, saving carts, etc., and editing products is very clunky).

Does VPASP have any idea what the highest-volume and most traffic intensive user of VPASP is? Does anyone out there want to chime in with your max traffic or estimated max simultaneous users/orders per day?

Or, does VPASP developer staff run the store through any kind of volume testing, ie. scripts that do the equivalent of maxing out vpasp in any particular environment?

Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 14 2007 :  21:21:28  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

We do not really have a list of sites with huge traffic demands however it would be great to hear from anyone who does get a lot through.

We would be very interested as well in this.

We have customers with hundreds of thousands of products in their database so we know the structure can handle that side of things however the loading has not been worked out as yet.

We have had customers in the past who get a lot of traffic but we did not unfortunately keep a record of who these were.

As Simon has mentioned a lot rests on what database you use and we would recommend SQL for any site with a high traffic count.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

june5748
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - July 21 2008 :  01:13:46  Show Profile  Visit june5748's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vpasp 6.5
Dedicated Server quad core
windows server 2K3
4 gb ram
Shared MS SQL 2000
Concurrent user = n/a
Monthly bandwidth around 500GB
product about 15,000

These are my spec and my site is working ok with VPASP

Edited by - june5748 on July 21 2008 01:18:19
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic