Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Comments about VP-ASP
 observations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - February 09 2007 :  14:23:25  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just finished a major re-write on my 4.5 - http://www.apswater.com becsaue I wanted to be fully optimized for the search engines. Along the way I have trackers everywhere. I found that there was a 50% drop out rate when people got to the address screen. For years, we thought that people wanted freight charges before entering info. So I wrote instant ups quotes that can be found on all spec sheets and product lists that give people a change to check freight on an item quickly. The end result... still a 50% drop off rate at the payment screen. So scratch that theory, although it is a cool tool that many people seem to use.

I guess the drop rate must have something to do with not having ssl at the address form. I have never put in an ssl cert, can anyone give me a hint how hard it is? I think I will make the whole site secure unless it slows it down.

I have multiple websites on my inhouse hosted server, can I get on cert that will cover all the websites, of do you need a cert for each?

Edited by - apswater on February 09 2007 14:24:55

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - February 09 2007 :  15:25:53  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's not overly complex, but there are some things that you might need to do to get it to work without getting lots of warning prompts, such as ensuring that all your side-panel images are sourced from relative (rather than absolute) pathnames (or ssl paths)

whether or not you need a different certificate for each "site" would depend on whether or not they're mirrors/aliases, or actually different sites/businesses.

if they're just mirrors/aliases then your best bet would be to have a single ssl certificate for your core domain, and then automtically redirect people to that core domain (for both ssl and non-ssl) whenever they land on any of the aliases (either on ssl or non-ssl)

if they're different businesses then I think you'd need a separate ssl certificate for each domain

using ssl does slow things down a bit, so it'd be best to keep the main cart pages on non-ssl and the customer-related pages on ssl (and that'd probably help your seo rating too).

we've developed a domain-tools addon which has various options in it that will help automatically redirect people on/off ssl at the right times (and which can also redirect people from your aliases to the core domain etc when they originally land on the site) -

http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=64

there's info on that page which explains more about domain related issues that are also relevant to dropped carts/sessions in general

the default config options for that addon (if flagging the ssl option on for it) is that all customer/payment-related pages will be on ssl (ie including the registration/customer-address-entry etc), and all the other pages will be on non-ssl, but that can be tweaked easily as your ssl-page-list is a config option that you can change to list whatever pages you want.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on February 09 2007 15:38:44
Go to Top of Page

extremeskillz
VP-CART New User

USA
94 Posts

Posted - February 11 2007 :  11:29:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its fairly simple. Just go under IIS control panel. Select your site you wish to add ssl to. Find the pages that you wish to add ssl to. Click each page and go to directory sercurity tab. Click web certificate edit and enable sercure communication and if your taking credit card enable 128-bit encryption as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00