Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Limitations to creating a product on the fly?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

answerman
Starting Member

USA
23 Posts

Posted - July 15 2008 :  15:56:03  Show Profile  Visit answerman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey. Using VP-ASP v6.5.0.1 with mySQL.

For a bunch of reasons, I think I need to do what I want as an ASP app outside of VP-ASP, and then pass my results to VP-ASP as an "on the fly" product not existing in the database, and just use VP-ASP as a way to collect the order and allow checkout.

I looked through the docs and see that I can do so, but I was wondering if there are limitations on what I pass. Basically, I need to create a custom product (cabinet doors) which will be priced using a calculation that takes into account a number of different parameters. I have no problem doing this in standalone classic ASP, but was wondering what the limitations on the fields might be. For example, I might need to pass the following info:

Wood type
Door style
Edge profile

which would usually be "features" with a standard product, but I don't want to set up all the different products in the store.

These, along with other parameters like height and width, affect the price, so i want to be able to configure them outside the store and then just pass the calculated values and "features" to VP-ASP.

Ideas? Is it as simple as creating one generic product with generic features and passing these values as features? That's what I'm hoping. The documentation didn't seem to shed much light on that, however.

answerman
Starting Member

USA
23 Posts

Posted - July 17 2008 :  15:07:27  Show Profile  Visit answerman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bump. Anyone? This doesn't sound like something that hasn't been tried before.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - July 18 2008 :  02:35:59  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can use a non-database add-to-cart url/call/form-posting; that'll add a description/price to the cart for a product which doesn't exist in the database, with a url/posting like:

<a href="shopaddtocartnodb.asp?productname=My+Product+Test+Name&quantity=2&Price=43.50
">Click to Order/a>

However, if doing that, you'd probably want to add some kind of extra custom-coding that ensures that the price taken across to shopaddtocartnodb.asp is the same as what you specified, or that you don't flag the order as fully successful/processed until you've cross-checked the price on the order against what it really should have been.

see:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/support/issue_view.asp?ID=217

Alternatively, create a custom-built function which adds the product to the products database if the permutation doesn't already exist (safer/better, but would need more development time/costs)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on July 18 2008 02:42:05
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - July 19 2008 :  08:02:11  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there

You can certainly do this with VPASP.

Please see the following seciton in the User Guide:

4.5 Add a Product to the cart without it being in the VP-ASP database

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: